What is the exact meaning of ORM?
ORM is basically an object relational mapping and in case of ColdFusion, objects are created with the help of CFC. ColdFusion ORM helps in managing persistent through objects and also defined as entities in the ORM context. The persistence part is also managed using the CFCs and their properties with the help of maps to a table in the database. Every property in the persistent CFC maps to a particular column in the table. CFC is also marketed by setting a persistent attribute to the true components. The persistent field in a persistent CFC is defined using ‘cfproperty’. The field or property is usually marked by setting persistent attribute to true on the cfproperty.
CFC property for ORM
The CFC is usually persistent by default, only until and unless these properties are marked as non-persistent property. So, the persistent feature is marked on the property when you want to make them non-persistent. Every persistent CFC in ColdFusion applications maps the tables of databases and every property in the persistent CFC maps to the columns present in the table. The artists and art tables are being used for such purposes as well. They have one-to-many relationship with the Art table.
Benefits of using ORM
- ORM also provides a bridge between the relational database and the object model.
- With the help of ORM, you can always access and update data entirely using the object model of the application.
- ORM also provides features such as Database vendor independence, performance optimization along with caching and concurrency.
How to introduce ColdFusion ORM?
In the initial step you should enable the CRM for the application and define a data source which is to be used. The ColdFusion ORM is also used in application .cfc to determine the specific ORM settings. Some of the simple applications are also taken into account that would enable you to jump start with application development using ColdFusion ORM. These examples also use the cfart gallery data source as part of ColdFusion 9 documentation option with the help of the installer.
Managing databases in ORM
- Relational databases have really become the core of most of the enterprise applications. So, whenever you map a relational database to the objects, it will really become a challenge. Object relational mapping is a programming framework that helps you in defining a mapping pattern between object model and the relational database. The application objects are not aware of the database structures in case of an object model. These objects also have properties and references to other objects and the database consists of tables with columns that are linked to other tables.
- The databases are easily achieved by managing relational data using tags like cfquery, cfinsert, and cfupdate, which handles SQL statements. They are also helpful in managing objects with the help of ColdFusion components and object lifecycle using the applications. They are also useful for writing SQL queries for every CFC or the fundamental CRUD that includes Creating, retrieve, updates and delete operations as well.
- The overall complexity increases as soon as the application grows in the long run. The ColdFusion ORM automates a variety of their tasks that make application code even cleaner and manageable. It also enhances your overall productivity and helps in developing database applications at a faster rate. They will also create an application that usually runs faster because of the built-in ORM optimizations. It will thus minimize the amount of code that you have to write.